top of page
Mountain Range

Frequently Asked Questions

How Do I Know if I need Therapy?

Ask yourself the following questions:  

  • Have I been trying to manage my anxiety on my own, but continue to struggle?  

  • Do I have a hard time accomplishing and enjoying everyday tasks and activities?  

  • Do I lie awake at night worrying about the next day? or my future?

  • Is my anxiety affecting my home, work, school, and/or social life?

If you answered yes to any or all of the above questions, it sounds like therapy may be a good option to explore.  I am happy to discuss your needs further and help determine which path is right for you.

What Age Group Do You Work With?

I work specifically with adults 18 years of age and older.

What Will The First Session Be Like?

After I review all initial paperwork with you, the session is open for you to discuss 1.) what brought you to therapy, and 2.) what you would ultimately like to achieve through our sessions together.  I will ask many questions to learn more about your current symptoms and struggles, after which we will both decide whether we believe we are a good fit to work together.  If I feel you will be better served by another clinician, I will make an appropriate referral recommendation.  My goal is for you the receive the best care, and from the right provider.


If we both determine we are a good match, the following session will consist of setting specific treatment goals. By outlining a beginning and an end point to therapy, we are creating concrete references that will allow us to see where progress is being made, as well as areas that will require more work. We will begin to develop an individualized plan that will not only address your presenting problem, but will give you the skills needed to cope with future difficulties as well.

How Are You Different From Other Therapists?

About 90% of my practice is devoted to treating adult individuals experiencing Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), while the remaining 10% is focused on treating other anxiety-based conditions. I have been intensively trained in the use of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT), including Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP), and Inference-Based CBT (I-CBT), two evidence-based treatments for OCD. Sessions are structured, educational, and action-oriented, and will therefore look and feel much different from traditional "talk therapy." The goal of each session is to equip you with personalized tools, and knowledge, to make your upcoming week better than the last.  I encourage collaboratively-designed homework assignments, so that you are constantly reinforcing and practicing your new skills and ways of thinking.  The ultimate goal is to teach you to become your own therapist, so that you can confidently move forward and feel capable of coping with any future challenges that come your way.

How Many Sessions Will I Need?

Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy is a short-term, efficient treatment option.  However, since each individual's challenges are unique, it is difficult to estimate the number of sessions you may personally need.  It may be helpful to keep in mind the saying, "Practice makes progress."  When learning anything new, including counseling strategies that will be discussed in sessions, it is important to practice them outside of our time together for faster, better results.  

Do you Offer Telehealth Sessions?

I offer both in-person and Telehealth sessions.

Is There A Benefit of Paying Out of Pocket?

Choosing to use insurance, even on an out-of-network basis, is a personal decision.  While private-pay costs for treatment may seem expensive, it is important to view therapy as an investment in yourself, and your future.  Some points to keep in mind are the following: 

1.) Using insurance means receiving a mental health diagnosis that remains on your permanent health record, and is considered a "preexisting condition."  2.) Insurance companies can limit the length and frequency of our sessions, whereas paying out of pocket allows for flexibility, giving both you and I complete control over your treatment.  3.)  Insurance companies restrict treatment to the office setting, which serves as a barrier for individuals who can greatly benefit from exposure therapy in the "real world" setting.  4.) While I work to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality,  insurance companies can ask about your personal information, which they can use to allow or deny future sessions together.

bottom of page